1. Two hours where I’m out of my head and into my body.
2. It’s exhausting and exhilarating all at the same time, which leaves me calmer and a nicer person for the rest of the day. Sweat is important.
3. How every day is different – today my body felt like hell; no strength and achy. On Saturday I felt amazing – flying through two hours with jump throughs and jump backs after every posture. One can never become complacent and it always is worth asking: “Why am I feeling like this?”
4. Awareness that emotions sit in the body – witness my tears after any back bending today and how all my anger is sitting in my right adductor
5. Proof of our capacity to change. I remember when I started and couldn’t lift my own body weight…and how I can now do all sorts of things I never imagined…with many things still to accomplish. It’s humbling and soothing – everything comes when it’s meant to and there is continuous transformation.
6. Proof also that practice really does make perfect – nothing happens without hard work, but application and focus always leads to a favorable outcome.
7. Breathing. I don’t do enough of it. Obvious: oxygen is vital.
8. Core strength. In the literal and figurative senses.
9. Muscles. Who doesn’t want to look better naked?
10. All the other changes that come about with a constant yoga practice – wanting more and more to do everything to do with yoga and to live a yogic lifestyle.
And so I just may be saved by asana.